Ken:

Your comments are very helpful - thanks for writing in.  And it's good
to see even payers want a standard provider ID, rather than relying on
proprietary schemes.  Actually, our group is concerned mostly with the
provider ID as used in the sender ID on the ISA, but the same issues
probably arise for providers when they're forced to "memorize" a bunch
of payer-assigned proprietary IDs to use within the application
transaction set (in the NM1 and REF).

Is it safe to assume most payers assign proprietary IDs for each
provider location?  If so, that argues strongly for using the "DUNS+4"
system, which can be used to uniquely identify specific locations within
a particular company (provider, in our case).  The DUNS (Data Universal
Numbering System) number itself is assigned by Dun & Bradstreet,
described at http://www.dnb.com/dunsno/dunsno.htm.  Its advantage is
that it's *free* - as a matter of fact, you actually have to work to
avoid getting one of their numbers, as Dun & Bradstreet makes it their
business to mind everyone else' business:  practically every business in
the U.S. has one, whether they want it or not.

D&B assigns unique 9-digit DUNS numbers to all legal entities - it's a
pretty safe bet that every clinic, hospital and practice in the U.S. has
been enumerated by Dun & Bradstreet and has been assigned a DUNS number.
For example, in my e-mail from Tuesday, I showed the DUNS numbers for
two hospitals in my hometown, Columbus, Ohio: 04-643-0013 for Children's
Hospital, and 07-164-3589 for Riverside Methodist.  Its not even big
regional hospitals who have DUNS numbers:  even little Novannet has
one - 07-293-0527.  My doctor has one.  My dentist has one.  My kids'
pediatrician has one.  I assume anybody who does business has one.  So
the DUNS seems perfectly suitable as a unique provider ID - at least
until the National Provider ID is implemented.  Why do people fight it?

On the other hand, DUNS+4 is probably a figment of some EDI guy's
imagination.  It's nothing but the DUNS appended with an additional 4
characters - hence the "+4" - defined by the company for their internal
locations.  The DUNS+4 is basically a unique "cookie" for identifying
internal locations. A way was needed to describe retail store locations
which would remain unique even with mergers and acquisitions - so the
solution was to append a self-assigned 4-digit store (or dock or
building) number to the D & B assigned DUNS. The DUNS+4 is used a lot in
the grocery business:  see how Krogers and SuperValu use the DUNS+4 to
identify their  warehouses and stores at http://edi.kroger.com/ and
http://ec.supervalu.com/Wholesale/wholesale.htm.

The 816 Organizational Relationships Transaction Set can be used to tell
your trading partners (payers) which DUNS+4 corresponds to a particular
(provider) location (e.g., address).  You would think it would be
sufficient for the provider to enumerate his own locations, assigning
DUNS+4 IDs to each, and passing an 816 transaction set to the payer to
update the payer's files.  All payers would then be using the same
provider location number (the provider-assigned DUNS+4), and we should
all be happy!

Another favorite of mine, the Health Industry Number (HIN), at
http://www.hibcc.org/hin.htm, is an analogous attempt at coming up with
a uniform method of assigning IDs to specific locations.  One advantage
of the HIN is that location information is centrally managed at HIBCC,
so there's only one place you need to go to in order to obtain all HIN
numbers (as opposed to receiving 816s from each provider individually).

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320