I hate to be pedantic (but when I do it, I'm being "precise"), but if
you paid for a DUNS, you would pay Dun & Bradstreet, not "DUNS."

Aside from that, obtaining a DUNS for your own organization is free: I
didn't pay anything to get assigned a DUNS from D & B, and as I
explained to Chris Feahr this morning, he can get his DUNS for free by
following the procedure I outlined.  I think you have to pay $.75 or
some other nominal charge to get the DUNS numbers of other organizations
(though I, too, have gotten those free when I said the numbers were for
"research" - I never pay retail).

In any event, you would rarely have to ask Dun & Bradstreet for the DUNS
of your trading partner;  more often is the case your trading partner
would give you his DUNS, telling you that's how he is addressed in the
ISA. Everyone knows his own DUNS or Federal Tax ID (by the way, the
Federal Tax ID is the same thing as the Federal Employer Identification
Number - EIN or FEIN) - which is "shorthand" for saying someone at his
own organization (say, the CFO) certainly knows these IDs.

Once you have a DUNS, enumerating the DUNS+4 is free, because you do it
yourself as described in my e-mail from last night.  As a matter of
fact, this is a good time for me to do the same.  Novannet's DUNS is
07-293-0527.  So I'm going to assign some DUNS+4 numbers simply by
making up internal 4-digit numbers and appending them to my DUNS:

   0729305270001 - Accounts Receivable
   0729305270002 - Accounts Payable
   0729305270003 - Programming department
   0729305270004 - Columbus warehouse (my garage and mud-room)
   0729305270005 - New Jersey Sales office, and
   0729305270006 - Novannet mascot: my cat, Snobol.

Being a small outfit, I probably won't require the fine-grained detail
of a DUNS+4 when asking others to address my EDI portal:  you'll just
need to put 072930527 in the receiver field (specifying the code for
"DUNS" in the Interchange ID Qualifier) and EDI data will get to me.
This assumes we have our recommendations in place for the CPP and
Registry, and that I've chosen to be identified by my DUNS.

By the way, how many other cats have their own DUNS+4 ID?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320