X12 is meant to be independent of the transport method.  The ISA only
needs to hold "logical" identifiers that represent the sending and
receiving entities - and 15 characters is more than enough for any
conceivable identifier (e.g., DUNS, FEIN, HIN, NAIC, or even the
National Plan ID and National Provider ID).

It was always understood that some sort of mapping table (whether at the
VAN or CH, or in the EDIINT software) would take a logical identifier
and "map" it onto an "EDI Address."  An EDI Address would be a
particular mailbox (in the context of a VAN or CH), or the protocol and
addressing specifications in the case of EDIINT or FTP, say.  Our
project takes EDI Addresses to an extra level of indirection:
identifiers would be "mapped" to a CPP, which in turn contains one or
more EDI Addresses (selected by preference or functional purpose, e.g.,
"real-time" vs. batch).  Each "EDI Address" would describe where
(physical address, e.g., FTP address) and how (packaging, e.g, X12.58
security or EDIINT) to send the interchange.

The logical identifiers used in the ISA are fairly static - how often
does a DUNS, FEIN (or even an NPI, if it comes to pass) change?  But EDI
Addresses are ephemeral, subject to the whim of the recipient: one day I
might want claims to go directly to me via FTP, and the next day I might
change my mind and have them go through a Clearinghouse. A dynamic
mapping system keyed on logical identifiers accommodates this nicely.

They always say "a picture is worth a thousand words," but even if I had
the requisite career-enhancing Visio or Powerpoint skills, I still
wouldn't be able to post an attachment to show this!

The DNS directory, to be used for mapping logical identifiers to CPPs,
is still very much in the running.  Is it flexible and robust enough,
though, to accommodate some of the additional "twists" which may be
required - such as searching for CPPs on non-primary identifiers?  The
ebXML Registry is (supposedly) available today, too, and may have search
capabilities above and beyond the DNS directory, with the added benefit
that security and authentication is built-in.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320