I don't really think WEDI would agree to maintain a registry for HIPAA
covered entities.  This is really a full time job.  If the Government
were going to have the National Provider and Plan ID databases, maybe
the CPPs could be pointed to by them.  But at this rate, I don't think
anyone is going to be seeing NPI and Plan ID databases any time soon!

So if we want a directory of Healthcare CPPs, it's going to have to be
either 1) Kepa's DNS directory, (2) the ebXML Registry, or (3) UDDI -
probably maintained by an organization that makes a living from this.
Frankly, I don't know how you build a business model around directories,
but there are enough vendors - and not just your chintzy pre-IPO B2B
startups, but real substantial outfits like IBM and Sun - tripping over
themselves to provide hosting, registry services and software.   This is
why, as part of our "liaison" with the OASIS ebXML Registry TC, we're
also talking to vendors about an actual implementation.  The same thing
can be done with UDDI, which Joe McVerry has volunteered to research for
the purposes of a Healthcare Registry.

I used to always call this Registry the "WEDI/SNIP" directory,  really
only to develop a sense of "ownership" among the WEDI/SNIP ID & Routing
folks - in no way did I mean the WEDI Board of Directors has ever
approved of such an animal or would have WEDI run it.    From now on, to
avoid confusion, we should just call it the "Healthcare" CPP directory.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320