Chris:

Thanks for continuing your discussion on the main listserve so as to
ensure all technical ideas and business requirements are captured. The
rationale behind what finally appears in the recommendations can too
easily become lost if no record is made; this has happened far too often
in the ebXML initiative itself, where the reason or background was
discussed in Face-to-Face meetings, but never put anywhere so people
could find out why the heck something was done the way it was in the
normative specifications.

Besides, if you bounce ideas off the wall in the main playground, you
never know who might come along and interject the most crazy idea that
breaks a logjam - who knows?  - maybe even my good friend Dave Frenkel
might come along and have something to say of actual relevance.

To illustrate the value of a transcript in standards development, the
answer to your question about the X12 838 Trading Partner Profile
transaction set can be found in Dave Minch's e-mail posted on 06 March
entitled "Use of the 838 for electronic exchange of TPA data," in the
WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing mailing list archives at
http://www.mail-archive.com/routing@wedi.org/msg00299.html.

Dave did compile trading partner data attributes, and provided a
synopsis on the listserve.  He was unable to really map to the 838,
which we needed to know so we could honestly say we considered the 838 -
we tried to eat our own EDI "dog food" and found it wanting!  The matrix
Dave shows will probably be useful to you in devising your CPP elements
to describe partner capabilities.

Having all prospective CPP data elements organized (and continually
maintained) in a spreadsheet or wish-list at one place is certainly
superior to having to scrounge through the archives, but I hope it's now
apparent why these important discussions should transpire on the public
listserve so they're permanently archived.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320