Out on EDI-L, while discussing the open-EDI aspect of Healthcare - you
know: claims coming in from unknown or non-par providers - folks are
sharing their ailments as part of their stories.  I won't do that here,
as I save those stories for my neighbors on the plane.  But suffice it
to say, a recent "provider" of mine was the OSU Dental Faculty Practice
(part of The Ohio State University College of Dentistry). The nice lady
there with whom I discussed the bill said Anthem (the local BC/BS to
which I subscribe) doesn't "talk" to OSU Dental Faculty Practice.   I
guess that's another way of saying they're "unknown," though I thought
everyone knew who OSU was.

Anyway, OSU can send the claim to Anthem (paper, electronic, or through
a billing service - I have no idea), but Anthem will not respond to them
at all.  Instead, she warned me, Anthem will send me a (paper) EOB and
possibly a check.

A couple of points are manifest in this story: (1) for my own
"administrative simplification," OSU graciously agreed to submit a claim
on my behalf;  (2) at least Anthem deigned to take a claim - I can
picture them holding their nose all the while - from the "unknown" OSU
on my behalf; and (3) the check, if any, would be paid to me, the
subscriber.  This makes perfect sense, and conforms to my notion how
claims and payments are handled for out-of-network (or is OSU
"unknown"?) providers:  payments should only be made to folks with whom
the payer has a contract - in this case, me, since OSU is, well,
"unknown".  HIPAA does not require that Anthem pay the "unknown" OSU. It
would have been nice if Anthem were to send an EOB to OSU, also - but
not critical.  Since Anthem is not paying OSU, there's no need for
1099s - solving Bruce's problem of reporting "unknown" provider income
to the IRS.

In the electronic analog of this story, the payer will have to accept
standard 837s from the "unknown" OSU.  The payer took OSU's paper
claim; the law is clear that it will also have to take a file formatted
according to the HIPAA IG.  Which leads to the need for the Healthcare
CPP registry: (1) OSU would have to have some (easy) means of finding
Anthem's (free) electronic portal for submitting standard transactions,
and (2) Anthem would need some way to find OSU's portal for returning
application acks like the 835 EOB).

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859