Requesting clarification on this point..

One of your clients visits Iowa (vacation hotspot that it is)...a place
you don't have a large presence. He is injured and end up at one of my
hospitals. We don't have a trading partner agreement with you, as we
have no prior relationship. We can't send you an automated eligibility
inquiry, as we don't have your routing #. Do we have to train our
registration staff to call and ask for routing #? What do we do to get
the electronic process going? Or do we have to program our system to
automatically drop to paper when the claim is processed?  (totally
shoots the standardization process.....)

Mimi Hart
Research Analyst, HIPAA
Iowa Health System
319-369-7767 (phone)
319-369-8365 (fax)
319-490-0637 (pager)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Bruce T LeGrand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 05/30/02
07:52AM >>>
Hello Rachel,

What we will do is return a response to the submitter, depending on if
it is
an unknown trading partner or an unknown provider within data from a
known
trading partner. We will reject a transaction from an unknown trading
partner.
We will front end deny an unknown provider.

We have many obligations related to paying providers. Working an
unknown is
not one of them. And I did not see anything in the rules requiring us
to do so.

A provider is not our customer, but potentially a trading partner. We
have the
liability of properly reporting income to the IRS and state income
boards for
payments to that provider. We will insist that they become known, not
necessarily participating, to us before accepting their claims.
------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )--------------------