---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charrie Sun <charrie...@gmail.com>
Date: 2010/1/19
Subject: Re: [rrg] Fwd: Critique of LMS and GLI-Split
To: Lixia Zhang <li...@cs.ucla.edu>

Hi Lixia,
  I think the biggest difference between LISP+ALT and LMS is that mapping
nodes in LMS are not only indexing nodes but also the final authorities of
mapping data. This correlates tightly with the question that whether the
separation should be placed at the core or the edge. In LISP separation work
in at the edge to facilitate TE etc, thus letting ETRs to be the mapping
authorities would not bring so many problems as those in the cores doing
separation. Since in the latter case, if an edge is multihomed to several
ISPs and thus connects to ETRs at different ISPs, no ETR would like to store
mapping data for its customer and its opponents. However, routers in edge
networks may often not hold a whole global routing table and they set
default route to their providers to reach the outside world, thus I assume
they may not see the scalability problem that serious as core routers. In
this sense, edge routers may not have much incentives to upgrade, to be
ITRs and ETRs.
   In LMS the mapping system is independent of ISPs and they charge for
their mapping services, forming a new interest group. ISPs as well as edge
networks whole join the circle can benefit immediately with few changes
(core routers may do tunneling, edge networks need no changes while they are
willing to inform mapping information to the mapping system to realize TE).
I mainly concerned the economic model here.
   Compared with ALT, I think we only share the hierarchical struture, while
the content the mapping system holds and the economic model is different.
    Thank you very much for your opinions!

Best wishes,
Letong

the text version is indeed much better for many people I believe (though