Dear Sun Letong,

Charrie Sun schrieb:
Hello Michael,
  Questions are inline.
2010/1/19 Michael Menth <me...@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de <mailto:me...@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>>

    Dear Sun Letong,

    thanks a lot for writing the critique for GLI-Split. I have some
    clarifying comments, see inline.

        Critique of GLI-Split, by Sun Letong
        GLI-Split makes a clear distinction between two separation
        planes: the separation between identifier and locator, which
        is to meet end-users needs including mobility; the separation
        between local and global locator, to make the global routing
        table scalable. The distinction is needed since ISPs and hosts
        have different requirements.

    The distinction makes ISP changes invisible for nodes within a
    GLI-domain including the local mapping system, and structural
    changes inside a GLI-domain invisible to nodes outside a
    GLI-domain including the global mapping system.

        A main drawback of GLI-Split is that it puts too much burden
        on hosts. Before routing a packet received from upper layers,
        network stacks in hosts firstly need resolve the DNS name to
        an IP address; if the IP address is GLI-formed, it may further
        map the identifier extracted from the IP address to the local
        locator. If the communication is between different
        GLI-domains, hosts need further to map the identifier to the
        global locator, if the local mapping system does not forward
        the request to the global mapping system for hosts. This may
        lead to large delays and for low-powered hosts it may become
        unpractical.

    1) Upgraded GLI-hosts convert the identifier address either to a
    local or global address. They perform only a single conversion.
    When reading the text one may think that two conversion steps are
    required.

Did I miss something, but in the section of communications between different GLI-Domains (section 3.1.2), it is said that when GLI-node queries local mapping system and get a negative answer, it queries the global mapping system. Local mapping system forward the request for GLI-nodes to the global MS is just an option.
There may be two mapping lookups but only one conversion from identifier address to either local or global identifier.

    2) The conversion usually does not introduce a "large dealy" as
    the mapping infos are cached. The delay is at the host where it is
    not critical. It's like DNS lookup, probably faster if the mapping
    system is more efficient than DNS (see FIRMS).

Cache cannot solve the problem of "first-packet-delay". And in IPv6, storing location information of all mapping servers (considering the huge indexing space) like FIRMS is unscalable.
The first-packet-delay in hosts is not crucial as packets do not need to be stored in intermediate nodes. Describing it as "large delay" sounds like tremendously worse than DNS-lookup delay which is rather of the same quality.

    3) This statement suggests that GLI-Split requires host changes
    which is not necessarily true. A major objective of GLI-Split is
    to be backward-compatible. That means, GLI-domains can accommodate
    upgraded GLI-hosts and classic IPv6 hosts for which no changes are
    necessary. Of course, upgraded GLI-hosts enjoy more benefits than
    classic IPv6 hosts. This essential aspect is lacking.

Well what I mean is that compared with the benefits, the upgrades of GLI-hosts are costly.
        For communications spanning GLI-domains, hosts can send
        packets to a default GLI-gateway if they receive a negative
        answer from local mapping system, and the default GLI-gateway
        does the identifier-to-global locator mapping.

    That's part of the description. I cannot see how this sentence is
    related to the previous or next statement.

I think through this way burdens can be relieved partly from hosts.
Unburdening intermediate hosts is more important than unburdening hosts as they have time to do lookup operations etc. without storing packets. If you want, you can mention the contrary. GLI-gateways need to substitute local source addresses by global source addresses, but a lookup is not required for that operation.

        The author argues that the multiple mapping lookups in hosts
        is for them to do multipath routing, since different
        destinations (local or global) may need different outgoing
        gateways. However, the gains of multipath routing and the cost
        of host burdens, and the corresponding delays, need to be
        further balanced.

    GLI-Split does not mandate multipath routing but it supports it if
    needed. And there is a clear desire to support multipath routing,
    just see the current efforts in IETF for multipath TCP.

Ok, further reflection is needed on the balance between application needs and corresponding costs.
As I said, the mechanisms adds more complexity only if it is used in case it is needed. Potential multipath support should not be viewed as a disadvantage!

        GLI-hosts need a home address for mobility. I think thereĄŻs
        no such need if the DNS system updates in time when GLI-hosts
        move across GLI-domains, which is less frequent compared with
        host mobility within a GLI-domain. The DNS updates would not
        take too long: on one hand, caching time of DNS now is as
        small as a few seconds or minutes (for load balance and other
        applications); on the other hand, a mechanism can be devised
        to trigger updates on DNS data. Furthermore, in this case
        hosts need not map the identifier to the global locator since
        the returned DNS response has that information, of course, if
        they do not need multipath routing.

    We deliberately left out the description of this mechanism because
    we think that it is a substitute to mobile IP and orthogonal to
most routing and addressing approaches. I cannot catch up with this sentence, and I cannot see why the mechanism is not beneficial. By updating the DNS data, home-address is unneeded, no matter for communications between GLI-nodes and between GLI-hosts and classic IPv6 hosts.
Let me try again. Updating DNS with the current location instead of using mobile IP is a general mechanism which could be done whenever DNS is in use - actually even today (but it's not of course!). This feature can be easily added to any architecture because it does not really depend on it. It can also be added to GLI-Split if it is desired. Your mentioned mechanism depends on how fast DNS can be updated. In the GLI-Split paper, we propose an alternative mechanism for GLI-hosts that bypasses DNS.

    You could introduce that already in today's Internet. In contrast,
    GLI-Split provides a different substitute for mobile IP which does
    not interact with DNS for the change of the location (see Section
    3.7 in

http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/papers/Menth-GLI-Split.pdf

<http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/%7Ementh/Publications/papers/Menth-GLI-Split.pdf>
    ). It is applicable only if  two GLI-hosts communicate with each
    other as this mechanism does depend on the specific routing and
    addressing architecture.

Question remains as before.
Hm, which question?

        As it claims, the main benefit of GLI-Split is for nodes move
        within a GLI-domain, since it would not bother the outside
        world. When hosts move across GLI-domain more changes may be
        needed. And the upgrades on hosts are costly, while the
        tradeoff between their gains needs discussion.

    GLI-domains can accommodate upgraded and classic IPv6 hosts and
    the latter do not need any upgrade. This was a major design goal
    to avoid costly upgrades which can be an obstacle for deployment.
    The benefits of GLI-Split are summarized in Section 5 of

http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/papers/Menth-GLI-Split.pdf

<http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/%7Ementh/Publications/papers/Menth-GLI-Split.pdf>
    Some of them are available only for upgraded hosts, others also
    for classic hosts.

I think I will learn more about the GLI's benefits on backward compatibility, which I underestimated before.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Regards,

   Michael

    Kind regards,

      Michael

-- Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
    University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
    Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
    phone: (+49)-931/31-86644 (new), fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
    mailto:me...@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
    <mailto:me...@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
    http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

Thank you for your clarification.