Patrick Frejborg wrote:
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Noel Chiappa <j...@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
   > From: Patrick Frejborg <pfrejb...@gmail.com>

   >> Ah, no - LEID's are globally visible, and globally unique.

   > Do they really need to be globally visible and globally unique in the
   > future?

Yes - they need to be globally visible because they are the names that
endpoints use to identify each other, and you may want to talk to another
endpoint anywhere (hence the need for global scope).

If you take the core-edge philosophy and apply that on the address
space - creating a hierarchical address space the endpoints can still
be identified though they use the same edge space. With LISP terms, if
the RLOC is telling the attachment point to Internet and the EID is
telling the attachment point at the local network you have a two level
address space. And the local network address space can be reused if
the global address space is unique - similar as in PSTN but without
geographical boundaries, it should follow as much as possible the AS
and RIR structures that is in place (some trade offs are needed).

Maybe I'm missing something but what happens when a mobile endpoint changes its point of attachment in the hierarchical address space to a new location that might just be using the same "edge space address" to identify another endpoint?

Florin