Hi Wesley,

Thanks for pointers to this work. Robin pointed out some
of this on the RRG list earlier, but its good to have the
additional material.

>From Ben Stasiewicz' post on the ipv6-techsig mailing list
(above), I retrieved the Alexa list of the top 1M websites
and from this took the top 1000 as my sample set. I used
the "tbit" tool (http://icir.net/tbit) to run IPv4 Path MTU
discovery (PMTUD) tests on each of the top 1000 using the
command syntax:

  # tbit -m 1460 -M 576 -n www.example.com -t PMTUD example.com

This command has tbit advertise an MSS of 1460 during the
TCP connection, but whenever tbit receives a packet larger
than 576 from a website it drops the packet and sends back
an ICMPv4 "Fragmentation Needed" (aka "PMTUD") message.

The test was to determine how each website in the top 1000
responded to PMTUD messages. Of the websites sampled, I
observed the following results:

  Transfer Fail:   249 (24.9%)
  PMTUD Disabled:  109 (10.9%)
  PMTUD Success:   394 (39.4%)
  PMTUD Fail:      196 (19.6%)
  Connection Fail:  52 ( 5.2%)

The "Transfer Fail" class was mostly due to HTTP 301/302
those cases tbit quit before any PMTUD tests were run. I
otherwise did not make any effort to diagnose the failures
more closely.

The "PMTUD Disabled" class included websites that set DF=0
in the IPv4 header, and thereby disabled PMTUD making data
packets eligible for fragmentation in the network.

The "PMTUD Success" cases correctly implemented PMTUD, but
in many cases tbit needed to send multiple PMTUD messages
before the website reduced the size of its data packets.
In some cases, websites responded to the PMTUD messages in
strange ways, including making curious guesses at packet
sizes instead of honoring the MTU size advertised in the
PMTUD message, turning PMTUD off altogether after receiving
a few PMTUD messages, etc.

The "PMTUD Failed" cases represented true failures of the
website to correctly honor the PMTUD messages, as verified
by wireshark captures. This could only happen if the PMTUD
messages were filtered in the network and not delivered to
the website, or if the website received the PMTUD messages
and ignored them.

The "Connection Fail" cases represented websites that
were unreachable, but may have also included sites that
sent large packets that were silently dropped due to a
true MTU bottleneck before reaching the test machine.

All of this closely agrees with the results documented
in "Measuring the Evolution of Transport Protocols in
the Internet" (Medina, Allman, and Floyd, ACM Computer
Communication Review, April 2005):

 http://icir.net/tbit/TCPevolution-Mar2005.pdf

The end result is that the IPv4 Internet still seems
to be vulnerable to PMTUD failures along paths that
lead to the top websites in the Internet today. This
suggests that PMTUD is likely not being invoked very
often in the first place since most links in the Internet
configure an MTU of 1500 or larger and few applications
send packets larger than that. However, as more and more
tunnels over the IPv4 Internet are used the frequency
of PMTUD failures is likely to increase as well.

Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com