[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:49:52AM +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> > Victor Yodaiken wrote:
> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > pthread_kill may be standard, but AFAIK the signal you use here is not.
>
> That is because having Linux run as a thread is unique to RTLinux.
>
> Our aim is not to pretend to be a standard nonrealtime POSIX, but to
> make the api conform to POSIX standard as far as possible. POSIX permits
> any number of signals and this extension is therefore within the standard
> and seems to me to be a sensible extension. If you have a better idea
> or even a good complaint, I'd be happy to hear it.

What is a good complaint ??? doesn't the 'P' in POSIX stand for portable
? What you continually offer is non-portable extensions that make it
impossible to run the same code on any environment other than RTLinux.

A better idea might be to use what exists so that we all have a chance
of running our code on a number of operating systems.  May I suggest
that a SIGHUP may be construed as a wakeup signal to a thread (it has
been used context before), this may be bogus too, but you get the idea:
try to use something that has a chance of being portable.

Regards Stuart