I'm sorry to say this, but you got this all upside down. Paolo and
all the other RTAI developers, for that matter, have been very keen to
recognize the contributions of RTL. The contrary, though, is not
true. RTL developers have strived very hard to demonstrate that RTAI
"features" are, at best, trivial to implement and, at worst, technically
deficient. Now, these guys can go on believing what they which, and so
can you, but from where I stand, I don't see any reason why anyone would
choose RTL over RTAI, because of the feature-rich nature of RTAI. By this
I mean that there are things possible in RTAI which aren't possible in RTL,
least of them enabling a normal Linux process to become hard-RT, which,
for me at least, deserves a Nobel by itself. Actually some of the
contributions of RTAI are so fundemental that it doesn't make sense to
see those as "small contributions". In that sense, having to state
the name of RTL as a mantra every time one writes new features for RTAI
would be like having to chant a song in recognition to the glories of Donald
Knuth every time you wrote an algorithm. Seriously, I applaud the wisdom of
the RTAI guys for having recognized that RTL was a dead-end and having the
guts to go against the wind, as you so well put it, to answer their true
calling, technical excellence.

Hats off for the RTAI guys!

Karim