Hmm... Very interesting remarks :)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Karim was also astounded to find that IBM had a remarkably
> similar product, and he apparently never looked at Oleg Subbotin's MS
> thesis in which he traced RTLinux threads or  Ismail Rippoli's
> RTLinux graphing tool (http://bernia.disca.upv.es/~iripoll/), or
> read my 1996 paper on tracing Linux file system behavior or ...

First I wasn't astounded by IBM's stuff, I've known for a long time
that AIX has had a tracing facility and so does SUN. This is nothing
new to me, FYI. As for Oleg Subbotin's and Ismail Rippoli's stuff, thank
you for the pointer, but then again I see no relation between this and my
remarks except trying to discredit me. As I've told you before, this
is called sophism in philosphy 101.

(By the way I'd really like to read Oleg's stuff, but I can't seem
to find it, anyone have a valid pointer ... thanks.)

I might also point out that LTT is not a product, it is a project.
There is a big difference between those two concepts. A product is
something you can sell, a project is something you contribute to.
This actually goes to show that my analysis is right, you view open-
source projects as something you can market, not something you can
provide expertise for. This is the same mind-set most Linux vendors
have. There is nothing wrong with it per-se, but there is something
wrong in your misleading the community to believe that you are truly
of open-source spirit.

> Shockingly, many of these projects use the same method of spooling data
> in a buffer and having a daemon empty the data -- in fact, somehow Linux has
> been doing this for syslog for many years.

That has never been my claim ...

Please do go to LTT's web site and go get the paper I presented at the
last annual Usenix conference as part of the main refreed track on LTT.
In it, you would see that I do not claim to have invented the data
collection methods I use, rather I emphasize on the fact that this
data had not been used in this manor before. I have read a couple of
your papers, I think you ought to read some of mine. Especially since
said paper was presented as part of one of the most important computer-
science conferences in the world.

> Next month, when someone else from Lineo invents local variables or
> the letter "a", we will undoubtedly see yet another one of these strange
> episodes.

I guess, my advice wasn't heard. In any case, it should be clear to any
reader that your statement is very harmfull to the open-source community's
image. But then again, you don't really care about that community, you
care about the possible revenus. So be it.

Best regards

Karim Yaghmour