> DY> Does it  mean if modify HZ to 2048 may get a 1ms
> DY> resolution timing? If so, what  should I do after this modification so
> DY> that this modification may be  effective?
> i think you could do so, but that would let the system timer generate
> an interrupt every 1 ms. i think your machine will end up processing
> the interrupt handlers while giving less cpu time to your application
> (or worst case NO cpu time ...)
>
> DY> I am booting with RTLinux-2.0. The reason why I do this high frequency
> DY> (1000 Hz)  task in linux instead of RTLinux is because this task need to
> DY> use lots of  graphics, big memory (60M) for object modeling, etc which are
> DY> cubersome to do in RTLinux.

Speaking from experience:

1) It is possible to set HZ to 1000 on a fairly fast Pentium and still be
able to accomplish something.  (400-800 MHz; I did not try this on anything
slower.)  Change it in /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/param.h, and rebuild
the kernel from scratch.

2) If you set HZ to anything larger than 1000, some daemons (sorry, I've
forgotten which ones) assume they are being spoofed and take HZ to be 100.
This leads to chaos.  Also, anything much bigger than 1000 breaks bits of code
in the kernel that try to stuff 60*HZ into an unsigned short.