Mon, 15 Jan 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:52:11AM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > After all, the average Intel CPU these days has some 300,000+ cycles to fit
> > each jiffy IRQ in at 1000 Hz, so it's not exactly as if you'd have to hand code
> > the ISR in asm to get away with it! :-)
>
> Sadly enough, the interrupt hardware does not run at core speed!

Still ISA speed legacy stuff... (Why? Who needs it on high end PCs these days
anyway, especially considering that people are moving to entirey different
platforms?)

Anyway how much impact does this actually have on the number of CPU cycles
wasted in a case such as the one we're discussing; a periodic interrupt? There
are some port accesses, of course, and there will be some extra latency, but is
there more to it?

//David

`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'