Hi Erwin and all,

Got lots of responses, thanks all for making this list so helpful and
informative.

Since both you and Tomek adviced me with LXRT under RTAI, especially your
case is very similar to mine: have a large crosslinked object model, need
to perform real time actions on the model (actually, touch it) and display
those actions,... I shall spend some time to investigate LXRT. Thanks.
Well, a few more questions:

What do you mean to promote a userspace process to a Realtime task?
Besides, do you know any function of linux that provides better resolution
than  time(0) of #include<time.h> ? and what is the header file to
include?

If it turn out that LXRT fails for my purpose, one alternate is to decople
the graphics display of the model and location of the action from the
real time  action itself  (through FIFO) . However, this leads to another
issue, is it  possible to use list of  lists (i.e., pointer of pointers)
with real time  linux? As I can use the simplest way to model the objects:
their  center-lines, with each line contains a list of points that it
travels  through.

Thanks in advance.

Dingrong Yi