Tue, 16 Jan 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I want to point out that (A) RTLinux programming environment is not so
> > > difficult and
> >
> > I agree that it's not that hard, but it does raise the bar somewhat.
> > The user/kernel boundary is there for a reason, after all: to prevent
> > buggy applications from corrupting each other or the system, and to make
> > it possible to reclaim all resources when an app terminates abnormally.
> >
> > That said, the real-time signals in RTLinux 3 look really cool, and they
> > are a nice step towards providing a friendlier programming model.
> >

> Thanks. We have a funny message to put out: on the one hand RTL
> programming requires some skill level but on the other hand, I don't want
> people to automatically assume you need to be a kernel hacker to write
> RTL code.

Or; "It's not hard to write RTL code, but *don't* do anything wrong!" ;-)

Well, basically, it's the same problem as with the C64, Atari ST, Amiga, Mac
and many other machines before we got MMUs: The APIs may be incredibly nice and
simple, but a pointer bug can still blow you system sky high. Those machines
were not exactly hard to program, but there were less room for cheating and
generally bad habits, such as ignoring return codes, not releasing used
resources when quitting etc.

//David

`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'