Yeah, I figured something like that was the case.  Probably that's the case
with most/all Rails generators (like most of the generators in the world) -
they're good for a one-time kick-start, but not much good after that.

Still, a generator that could write on something other than a blank slate
would be a very valuable addition to the toolkit.  And doable.