On Jun 4, 2015, at 5:26 PM, kenatsun <kenat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're misreading my step 1: "Add attribute toys.color (text)".  That was
> added to the database schema, not to the Rails model definition.  So steps
> 2-4 (or some equivalent process in Rails) absolutely were necessary.
> Otherwise the Rails app would have gone on oblivious to the change in the DB
> schema.

No, I did not misread it. As I suspected, you still do not understand what we
have been trying to tell you: Rails WILL READ THE SCHEMA FROM THE DATABASE.
Your steps 2 through 4 were unnecessary, and, as I said before:

You can manage your database schema using Rails & migrations, or you can manage
it completely outside of Rails. Either option is pretty easy, while a mishmash
combination of the two is not so easy.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com