yeah, i've read it half a dozen times - doesn't give me any insight on
the argument list for the _path family of functions and apidock is
less than helpful as well.

searching through google led to some obscure blog that said i could
do:
  link_to 'do something', station_path(@station, :station =>
{ :attribute => :value }), :method => :put

but why does this work and why aren't the _path functions clearly
documented?

maybe someone who knows could point me to where these functions are
defined in the source tree (preferably in master)?