Robert Walker wrote:
[...]
> Haven't you heard? Flash has passed it's prime, and is dying a slow and
> painful death.

I hope that's not true.  Flash is a great tool for sites that require it
(see http://www.openstreetmap.org for an example of Flash used
appropriately -- with Rails, as it happens).  But I'd estimate that well
over 90% of sites using Flash shouldn't be.

> I don't even consider Flash when thinking about building
> web based applications anymore. Not even if I want an application on the
> web that feels and acts like a desktop application. There are too many
> excellent solutions today that make use of modern web standards that web
> browsers can run natively without depending on plugins.

Exactly.

> A couple of examples:
> http://cappuccino.org/   # My personal favorite

Really?  I've heard bad things about it.

> http://www.sproutcore.com/
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/   # My least favorite, but viable
>
> The great thing about these solutions is that they don't care what's on
> the server-side. At least that's the case for the first two in the list,
> I am only assuming it's true for GWT, but I'm not certain.

AFAIK, it is.  GWT compiles to client-side JavaScript.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org