2010/11/26 pardu <parduinin...@gmail.com>

> Hi
> can any body tell me wat are the technologies need to know before
> starting learning ror.
> and tell me the sequence of learning ROR.(including list of softwares
> and editors) pls..

It depends on what you would like to do. But as far as I am concerned you do
not need a lot to know if you are already familiar with website development.

   - The usual technologies apply: javascript, your favorite SQL.

   - The sequence of learning is almost developers preference, though there
   are paradigms that are promoted. Like Behavior Driven Development (using
   such techs as Cucumber and RSpec/Shoulda)

   - Editors: There is no magic behind any editor. If you are an old
   hardcore geek emacs, vi, vim and friends might be cool for you. If you are a
   dot.com generation, then you may want an IDE like Netbeans, Rubymine and
   Geany. They are good at suggesting object methods almost "on the fly" (or
   after pressing the usual "pressing causality", TAB :-) ). If you are
   interested in "Editor and OS" fights, you can get more on this forum. People
   have been battling over these for sometime now, and it is NP-Complete :-) !!
   : http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

   - One thing you should understand is that Rails (Just as Ruby itself) is
   fast changing. Most of the  resources that we have on-line or books
   currently in print may not be very relevant. For example, I myself use Rails
   2.3.2 and 2.3.5 depending on my projects. But this implies I am missing a
   lot because there is RoR 3.0.0 out there right now, and many things have
   changed in between these versions including programming techniques like how
   we create and run Rails apps.

   - There are still better tutorials online, including how to setup Rails
   on a machine of your preference (Windows, Linux, Mac). When it comes to
   that, Google is your friend, just google for what you want. This link might
   be of help to you: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html. I
   would also do injustice if I would not point you to the resource I used when
   I was starting Rails. I used Agile Web Development with Rails (2nd
   edition)<http://pragprog.com/titles/rails2/agile-web-development-with-rails>.
   But as you notice on it web page, the book is out print now. But I hope it
   is still available in bookshops. Right now,
3rd<http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3/agile-web-development-with-rails-third-edition>and
   4th
<http://pragprog.com/titles/rails4/agile-web-development-with-rails>editions
are available for purchase. They cover at least recent changes to
   Rails. For me, I still respect the 2nd edition because it is the one that
   taught me how to "role on Rails".

Good luck, boss. Happy coding!!

---
Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
Malawi

Cell:  +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

*"Leading the Improvement of Health through Information and Communication
Technology in the Developing World" The **Creed* of *Baobab Health
*