Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #964393:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
> <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>
>> Depends. Most of w3schools' HTML and CSS information that I've seen is
>> pretty good. It's usually one of the first places I tell learners to go.
>
> Good for you. It's still not the definitive source for the HTML and CSS
> recommendations, whatever improvements they've made to it.

Of course it isn't.  But it *is* geared to learners, which the official
spec is not.

> Which
> I see no reason to waste time evaluating

Then don't waste time expressing unfounded opinions about it.

> when the real thing is
> available.

The real thing is the definitive reference.  It is not geared to
learners.  I think that if a raw beginner tried to learn HTML from the
official spec, he'd never get out of the starting gate.

>>> Read and bookmark the actual W3C recommendations as references.
>>
>> That won't help a beginner. Even after 12 years of Web design and
>> development, I find those documents nearly unreadable.
>
> My heart goes out to you -- but maybe other people won't have that
> problem. Learning to read the canonical documents wouldn't seem
> like such an ambitious goal.  :-)

I perhaps overstated a little.  I do refer to the spec for reference.
But I don't think it's meant for learners.

>>> A newcomer to the web should also read the HTTP RFCs.
>>
>> Why on earth?
>
> Because there are people posting here who obviously have no idea
> how HTTP really works. I think that's essential for someone doing
> "web development".

Yes.  But again, the RFC, while the definitive references, is probably
not the best introduction.  I think a high-level explanation of the HTTP
request cycle is probably more helpful.

> But remaining ignorant is certainly an option -- even a popular one in
> some quarters, apparently.

Unfortunately, it seems so.

> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com