On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
<li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Depends.  Most of w3schools' HTML and CSS information that I've seen is
> pretty good.  It's usually one of the first places I tell learners to go.

Good for you. It's still not the definitive source for the HTML and CSS
recommendations, whatever improvements they've made to it. Which
I see no reason to waste time evaluating when the real thing is available.

>> Read and bookmark the actual W3C recommendations as references.
>
> That won't help a beginner.  Even after 12 years of Web design and
> development, I find those documents nearly unreadable.

My heart goes out to you -- but maybe other people won't have that
problem. Learning to read the canonical documents wouldn't seem
like such an ambitious goal.  :-)

>> A newcomer to the web should also read the HTTP RFCs.
>
> Why on earth?

Because there are people posting here who obviously have no idea
how HTTP really works. I think that's essential for someone doing
"web development".

But remaining ignorant is certainly an option -- even a popular one in
some quarters, apparently.

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan