Thanks, everyone. Seems I've missed "ruby.railstutorial.com", thanks for
the tip, I'll check it out.

As for "cheap host" - it's Hostnine.com. I'm referring to it as cheap
because it's just $7/month for a shared hosting plan, it's not THAT bad.
Of course I would not use this plan to run a popular high-traffic site,
but then - IF I'd have one, then I'd start thinking about dedicated
hosting (or rather - I'd think about it once I'd realize it's starting
to get big).

Anyway, it's good for my current needs. Still, thanks for the tip on
Heroku. For now, I'd rather stay away from hosts offering completely
free service ;)

Next - yes, I'm probably confusing Ruby itself with the framework,
thanks for clarifying.

How can I not be a programmer and know PHP? It depends on the definition
of "being a programmer". IMO, a programmer is someone who:
1. Knows many programming languages and often uses them because... he's
programming... a lot (probably for a living) ;)
2. Would never ask the questions I asked ;)

I, on the other hand, happen to have an idea once in a while (if fact,
lots of them, all the time, but once in a while there's one that stick
around "forcing" me to execute it) and the programming language is just
a tool I need in order to make it work. It's like driving a car (me) and
being a car mechanic (a programmer). Although the driver CAN learn about
the car's basic mechanics and could fix some basic issues, he won't be
able to build a car just due to the lack of knowledge (and/or interest).

When HTML wasn't functional enough I needed some (a bit) PHP. I could
actually make my idea work just with pure PHP, but it would result in
the most user-UNfriendly experience ever and kind of... miss the whole
point which is supposed to be an EASY way to... achieve something (can't
give you the details, sorry). So now I need something to make a website
which will allow the user to:
- return the results "live" without reloading the whole page and
communicate with the MySQL database in the process,
- drag and drop things, snap them to some positions... and again,
communicate with the db in the process.

Would PHP allow me to do that (with a PHP framework)? PHP has a
framework? Is framework the part that allows a webpage to be dynamic? Or
maybe I should use Perl/Python/Java I don't really care. I've found lots
of opinion that Ruby could do that and it's apparently quite easy/easier
than using other languages.

Now, would you still consider me a programmer? I wouldn't ;)

OK then, off to the tutorial. Thanks again so far, let's see where it
gets me :)