Dave,

Thanks for the consideration you show to this issue of mine, here is the
recap...

I have the following error from my Rails 3.1 controller...

    JSON::ParserError: unexpected token at 'loan_request=4000000'

...where the controller code line in question is...

    data = ActiveSupport::JSON.decode(request.body.read)

...and the ActionController::TestCase test initiation of the error
was...

    request = 4_000_000
    post :loan, {:loan_request=>request, :format => :json}

...finally the test log of the request is...

  Processing by Sec223fAcquisitionController#loan as JSON
  Parameters: {"loan_request"=>"4000000"}
Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 28ms

What bugs me here is that I don't see the JSON format appear anywhere
above. I understand why the parser would choke on
'loan_request=4000000', because it's not JSON.

Grar