Hi,

2013/5/3 Graydon Hoare <gray...@mozilla.com>

> (Erm, it might also be worthwhile to consider message catalogues and
> locale-facets at this point; the two are closely related. We do not have a
> library page on that topic yet, but ought to. Or include it in the lib-fmt
> page.)

If you are talking about gettext-like functionality, usually this and
format strings are thought of as independent processing layers: format
strings are translated as such and then fed to the formatting function.
This brings some ramifications, as the order of parameters in the
translated template can change, so the format syntax has to support
positional parameters. But this also allows to account for data-derived
context such as numeral cases, without complicating the printf-like
functions too much.
There are other difficulties with localizing formatted messages that are
never systematically solved, for example, accounting for gender. In all, it
looks like an interesting area for library research, beyond the basic
"stick this value pretty-printed into a string" problem.

Cheers,
  Mikhail