Hi,

2013/5/10 Tim Chevalier <catamorph...@gmail.com>

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Mikhail Zabaluev
> <mikhail.zabal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My favorite real world example is "%s has joined the chat room." The
> gender
> > may be unknown (they didn't say in their user profile), female, male,
> and if
> > you are really thorough and provide for non-human chat participants,
> > neutral.
>
> At the risk of being off-topic, many human beings affirm their gender
> as neutral or as another gender that isn't male or female. I'm not
> interested in starting a lengthy thread on this topic; mainly, I just
> want to make sure that a comment that potentially implies that some
> people who read this mailing list and/or participate in this project
> aren't human doesn't go by unremarked-on. Everyone is welcome to work
> on Rust, whether or not they identify within the gender binary.
> (Recommended reading:
> http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2010/11/26/disalienation/ and
> http://genderqueerid.com/what-is-gq ).
>
> If anyone wants to discuss this point further, please *reply sender*
> and email me privately, rather than replying to the list.

Replying on-list as potentially guilty... Sorry if my comment has caused
any offense.
In my example, the gender information is intended to be used for
grammatical purposes, if provided.
For people with more complicated gender than male/female, "neutral" would
not be a proper option in this context, as the resulting phrase may sound
degrading (like referring to people with the non-personal pronoun "it" in
English).
So for such cases I suppose it's down to the default "other/unknown", at
the disadvantage of translated messages looking form-letterish.

Respect,
  Mikhail