On 03/03/14 06:06 PM, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> Oh, Patrick, I slightly mis-read what you said. Yes, that was the intention.
>
>> I think official documentation shouldn't be directly trying to "sell" Rust
>> against other languages,
>
> While I agree, comparing against things we already know is a powerful
> way to learn. I _do_ think that we shouldn't say "C++ is terrible,"
> because it's not, but I do feel that not making some references to
> other languages is basically impossible.

I think documentation comparing Rust to C++ is fine, but it should be
written from a neutral perspective. That means doing an apples to apples
comparison rather than showing the safe feature in Rust and the unsafe
feature in C++, when both variants exist in both languages.

Type-checked lifetimes on references and type-checked move semantics are
examples of true safety improvements over C++. They are not a panacea as
they prevent expressing many safe patterns, even when the safety is
obvious to a human or a more complex type-checking algorithm.

If you're not familiar with writing in a modern dialect of C++11 with
similar idioms to Rust, then I don't think writing articles comparing
the languages is fair. Rust doesn't bring anything new to the table when
it comes to destructors, allocators or smart pointers. It's still
playing catch-up to C++11 and Boost in these areas.