Hi Steffen,

On Tuesday, 26.03.2019 at 17:01, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Hmmm.  Could you please run
>
>   $ make VERBOSE=y
>
> and give me everything before "Joining in ./make.rc", please?
> The error either points to a shell or an awk error.

Not a lot gets output there:

--- cut here ---
 . ${uname} ... /bin/uname
Operating system is Linux
Checking for basic utility set
 . ${awk} ... /usr/bin/awk
 . ${rm} ... /bin/rm
 . ${tr} ... /usr/bin/tr
Setting up configuration options ... done
--- cut here ---

> I have commented out the shell case to test awks, and i cannot
> reproduce with all of nawk, gawk, busybox awk and also mawk, which
> i think (have heard) is the default awk on Debian.  So dead end
> also there.

FWIW mawk 1.3.3 seems to be installed as /usr/bin/awk on my Debian systems.

> Ok, well i see i have a "XXX" comment saying that the error log
> should possibly be restricted to occur with -t and in compose-mode
> only, and i will look into this (we can now pass flags down to
> this place which turns that log off on request, which i think
> would be even better) once my new box is fully setup.
> But it is not in v14.9.13.  The change will be in the next
> release, but will land on stable/* and master as soon as possible.

Sure, no hurry. I'll be offline from the Internets for a couple of weeks
starting Friday anyway. I just wanted to report this so that I don't forget
about it.

Cheers,

-mato