On Tuesday, 26.03.2019 at 18:43, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
>  |Yeah, I just got that far (using gawk).
>  |Thanks! Now to see if I can cross-build a static binary using a musl
>  |toolchain, so that I can update from git and rebuild on a fast ARM64 box,
>  |then trivially just 'cp' the resulting binary to the RPi that I want to run
>  |it on.
>
> I am full of shame.

Not your fault. Maybe worth sticking a note in INSTALL that the Debian
'mawk' is broken?

> computers.   Really.  I can finally do things that i never could,
> like creating an automatized test series over many VMs.   It has
> to be setup first, of course.

Ah yes, BTDT, setting up those kinds of systems takes forever. You might be
interested in a (side-)project of mine for minimalist KVM VM management
precisely for development and automated testing. While missing a bunch of
documentation since I've not had time to make it suitable for "public
consumption", I think you'd like the general principle:
https://github.com/roburio/vm.

> Note i have never actually used the OPT_CROSS_BUILD switch, only
> proofed it correct.

It's easier than that, as I don't need a "full" cross build, just a build
using a different compiler toolchain on the same architecture (ARM64). So,
the following works for me:

1. apt-get install musl-dev musl-tools # pulls in musl, plus the musl-gcc
wrapper which appropriates your existing gcc to build using musl
2. make config CC=musl-gcc EXTRA_LDFLAGS=-static
3. make -jXXX build

This works, but obviously doesn't find any of the various dependent
libraries (ssl, terminfo, ...). So I'll probably have to use Docker and
build using an Alpine userspace, or something.

Anyhow, thanks for your help so far!

Cheers,

-mato