On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 09:23:04AM -0700, Simon King wrote:
> I'll probably be not able to rebase it until Monday, but if you like,
> you can rebase it.

Ok. I'll try to do that tonight. Otherwise tomorrow evening.

> Concerning the methods discussed here: For the current version of the
> patch, I did not think at all about bases. There even is no F.monoid()
> method of the free algebra F, and thus also no F.basis() indexed by
> the elements of F.monoid(). And the elements of F have no dict(),
> monomial_coefficient(), support() etc.
>
> I am not sure whether it would really be worth the effort: After all,
> FreeAlgebra_letterplace does not support inhomogeneous elements (until
> a future Singular version will be in Sage). And thus, for now, its
> purpose is quite narrow: Normal forms and degree-wise Gröbner bases of
> homogeneous two-sided ideals. At the moment, I tend to think that
> using AlgebrasWithBasis should be implemented only when general (i.e.,
> inhomogeneous) arithmetic can be implemented. But who knows, perhaps
> I'll change my mind.

Short answer for now: could you just implement __iter__, with the
whatever representation (word, tuple, ...) is convenient for you for
the basis indices? That will make a good incentive for those who need
further methods (support/coeffs/...) to implement them generically in
ModulesWithBasis :-)

Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nthi...@users.sf.net>