Hi Nicolas,

On 26 Mrz., 11:00, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Sorry, I first saw your post on sage-algebra and answered there,
> although it might have been better to do it on combinat-devel. Anyway,
> I am very unhappy with the documentation of the "...WithBasis" stuff.
> After several attempts, I still do not understand how to do even the
> most basic operations with it.

Rather than trying to understand how
AlgebrasWithBasis(QQ).example().basis() is implemented, it might be
better to ask what purpose F.basis() (F a free algebra with generators
x,y,z) should have, in general?

I guess that F.basis() should have some index set. Here, it seems
natural to me to choose M=FreeMonoid(3,['x','y','z']): If m is in M
then F.basis()[m] returns the corresponding element of F.

Is that the only requirement to F.basis()?

Concerning compatibility: Rather than indexing the basis with the
elements of M, one could index it by the words in the alphabet
'x','y','z'. Is there a protocol for doing conversion by changing the
index set, yet? Such conversions could indeed facilitate consistency
between different implementations of "the same" algebra.

Cheers,
Simon