On 11/23/2012 08:37 PM, Andrew Mathas wrote:
Does anyone have any /concrete suggestions/ for how we could improve the
"development model"? There is definitely room for improvement but short
of paying someone I don't have any good suggestions. The problem is that
what I want implemented is often different to what everyone else wants,
but thankfully there is some overlap and so some give and take. Ideas
anyone?

Andrew

There is already a move towards a git-based development model. I hope it will allow people to fork and experiment in their own branches quickly instead of the current method of using queues, trac patches, or "sage -clone", etc, which I find is a painful process.

I would say the git model might work better. For instance look at the notebook. It is very easy to work with the development branch of any person's fork of the notebook. At present, you can even try out out the new UI by simply switching the notebook branch to samuela's fork. The switch takes about a second once you have the branch in your git. You can quickly also change back to the original notebook and resume your usual work with that as soon as you are done experimenting. The only hurdle that I see right now is the about 5-6 git commands one needs to know before one can start working with the development branch(es) of the notebook. Part of the next sage-git workshop is to create tools to make this setup (and contributing back) easy.