On Thursday, 17 October 2013 09:36:41 UTC+2, Jean-Yves Thibon wrote:

> *snip*
>
> In summary, a short and very simple code written some 10
> moths ago is now totally unusable and needs to be modified at
> each single line.

Hi Jean-Yves,

I guess that the short (but harsh) answer is that if you have code which
relies upon some one else's code which is in the queue, but which is not
yet merged into sage, then there is no guarantee that your code will work
next year, or even tomorrow. Any code which is merged should still work or,
at a minimum, it should provide useful error messages to help you sort out
what is going wrong (but this is only guaranteed in the first year after
the change). I have certainly had this problem with my own private code and
with the code that I have languishing in the queue.

As I haven't used (or touched) the methods that you are having issues with
I don't know whether they were just in the queue or whether they were
already part of the official sage distribution. If these methods were
already included in an official release then clearly the review process has
not worked properly in this instance and you have a legitimate complaint.

Looking at the patch queue, robinson_schensted_inverse was depreciated in
trac8392 <http://trac.sagemath.org/attachment/ticket/8392>. It seems to
have been replaced with RSK_inverse which just seems wrong to me: with
tab-completion I don't see the need for random acronyms, even relatively
common ones like this one. (This probably just reflects my own
idiosyncrasies:)

Returning to the question of the descents method, irrespective of whether
it is backwardly compatible, I think it should the descent set of a tableau
is what any reasonable algebraic combinatorialist would expect this method
to return. Anything else is implementation-bug and it should be fixed.

Andrew