Hey Andrew and Jean-Yves,

> Looking at the patch queue, robinson_schensted_inverse was depreciated in
> trac8392 <http://trac.sagemath.org/attachment/ticket/8392>. It seems to
> have been replaced with RSK_inverse which just seems wrong to me: with
> tab-completion I don't see the need for random acronyms, even relatively
> common ones like this one. (This probably just reflects my own
> idiosyncrasies:)

   There is also robinson_schensted_knuth[_inverse] methods in the global
namespace with #15142 <http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15142>. And to get
an output as a word, use the output='word' option. Note that the output
will be an honest word object, not a permutation since non-standard
permutations can break some of Permutations methods. If it is indeed a
standard permutation, you can use output='permutation'.

> Well, I have changed "descents" to "standard_descents", but I still have
> problems
> with the next two lines of my file. I use robinson_schensted_inverse. I see
> that it is deprecated (and certainly it should be, it did not even return
> a correct result
> one year ago and I had to patch it). So, deprecated, OK, but it still
> exists,
> and returns a different type now. Instead of a word (as it should be) it
> returns
> a list of two lists. This is bad. I can easily replace w by w[1]. But this
> is still not a word, and my function had to compute its descent
> composition.
> So it fails. I replace w by Word(w[1]). It fails again, as words do not
> have anymore
> a descents_composition ... So it is now
> Word(w[1]).standard_permutation().descents_composition(),
> and so on ...

   I see two possibilities to simplify this. The first is we add a
descents_composition() method to words which just calls
self.standard_permutation().descents_composition() (or perhaps its own
optimized computation). The second would be to give RSK_inverse a checkargument
which only checks for standardness if
True and passes it to permutation if ouput='permutation'. I'm in favor of
the former.

Best,
Travis