On 7/10/07, Ted Kosan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have found myself using numerical_approx() instead of RR() because
> it is also placed at the end of the line and so is relatively easy to
> locate the cursor there and add it.  With RR(), one has to wrap the
> code in a function and then unwrap it when finished, which I have
> found takes more time (and is more error prone) than just having to
> deal with code that is all at the end of a line.
>
> My main complaint with numerical_approx so far is that it is a lot of
> typing when used for taking quick peeks at the numerical approximate
> of a symbolic expression.  I am thinking that a shorter method name,
> perhaps .RR()..

I would be happy to introduce a short-cut alias for numerical_approx,
e.g., N() or n() or ??.  You can try out a few by doing this:

sage: import sage.calculus.calculus
sage: sage.calculus.calculus.SymbolicExpression.N =
sage.calculus.calculus.SymbolicExpression.numerical_approx   # all one
line
sage: a = sin(2) + pi + cos(2/3)
sage: a.N()
4.83677734119242

Something simple like a.N() might be quite reasonable as a shortcut
for a.numerical_approx(), and would be very simple to implement (just
one line of code in an appropriate place).

Thoughts?

William