Well the biggest reason is just inertia: my department has been using
mathematica for years, and everyone has a full set of computer labs
and handouts and demos already done in mathematica.  Why learn a new
system and have to port everything over?  We don't even directly pay
for the license as a department, as far as I know, so there just isn't
much motivation to change.  My biggest selling points for sage are
that the students can get it for their own computers for free, and I
can set up a server so they can access it online.
So realistically, I expect no one else will want to use sage in fall
2008. But if I get good feedback from students, and offer to help port
mathematica labs to sage, maybe I can win some folks over.
Incidentally, this is one reason I think it is crucial to get an R
interface for sage ASAP.  I think I could convince our stats faculty
to give sage a try if it had R, and then I could argue that we should
use sage for consistency across the department; it would also start
exposing our grad students to sage.
-Marshall