On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:20 PM, David Harvey wrote:

> I don't really like the idea of "modules that imitate various
> environments", i.e. I don't think it's possible or desirable for us to
> try to look specifically like any other system. Mathematica semantics
> are so different from SAGE's, it would be misleading to suggest
> anything like that.

I agree.  Even suggesting that such a thing is possible could lead to
support headaches, as those with a strong background in My Favorite
CAS try to get precisely the semantics they are used to.

I think it is better to suggest that one can use a startup file of
the user's own devising to try to emulate what they like about MFCAS,
without claiming that it's really feasible.

> But I *do* like the idea of the clean initial
> namespace, which gets subsequently polluted on demand when
> requested by
> the user.

Yeah!  Let the polluters clean up their own sandboxes :-}

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income