On Friday 14 September 2007 15:31, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> Currently, ZZ[x] -> QQ[x] does
>
> ntl_ZZ -> str -> list -> list of rationals -> str -> pari
>
> Perhaps QQ[x] should be implemented as ZZ[x] + denominator?

Well, this will probably be more efficient with-in the week.

More generally, I think the matter of QQ[x] being implemented via NTL needs
benchmarking.  For simple polynomials, I would imagine that PARI is the best
other option, but I don't know for sure.  Are there other decent competitors
worth benchmarking as a library?

It's part of the questions we need to answer for speedy arithmetic in number
fields.  I was benchmarking that one day before I got seriously sidetracked.

I'm really thinking that there should be C library that does ZZ[x] with a
denominator so we wouldn't have to put that logic in cython.  That library
might build on NTL.  I'm uncomfortable with code like that in cython (but
that may just be a result of me liking C & C++).

--
Joel