On 9/14/07, Joel B. Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > FLINT?
>
> Yes, of course, I didn't mean to forget FLINT and actually that feels like a
> much better choice for a back-end to a C QQ[x] library. While I'm a native
> C++ speaker, I'm coming to appreciate the viewpoint that such things should
> be written in C.
>
> I guess in the long run we would view FLINT as (entirely) replacing NTL, but
> that sounds like a pretty long run to me.  I keep finding that NTL
> implemented a lot of stuff.

That might be what Bill Hart wants, but I'm way too impatient to think
long run.  For me I view FLINT as a way to do arithmetic with polynomials
over ZZ, QQ, and GF(p) much more quickly than NTL will *ever* do it.
If you look at the benchmarks, in certain ranges Magma is *vastly*
faster than NTL and PARI, which is really sad.  FLINT, though is much
faster.  So that's what I view FLINT as doing.

I think the sooner FLINT is in SAGE and provides the above functionality
the better, even if it is off by default.  If Bill sees that it is possible to
easily use FLINT from within SAGE, then I think the momentum will appear
to make FLINT truly stable and usable for general use.  So somebody
needs to volunteer to make Cython bindings to FLINT asap.  I would
do it right now, but I'm going out on a date with my wife ( :-) ), and then I
have to work on grant applications...  Robert Bradshaw might also
work on this.  Contact me if you're interested.

Wrapping FLINT is probably not as hard as wrapping NTL, since it's
a pure C library.  It might be harder though, since it's so new.  Bill
Hart has some brand new documentation aimed exactly at making this
wrapping easier. See the pdf here:
   http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wbhart/flint/

  -- William