On Oct 21, 9:34 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/21/07, Jaap Spies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There seems to be some typos in the test of gap.py
>
> These are not typos.  The behavior of gap-4.4.10 changed from that
> of gap-4.4.9, and the doctests reflect that change.  Evidently for
> some reason your gap didn't get upgraded.   Try
>
>    sage: !gap
>
> to see what version of gap you now have.

Actually, I'm seeing the same problems as Jaap.

Here are some logs from a "sage -gap" session.

First, from an old install I haven't touched for a couple of weeks:
GAP4, Version: 4.4.9 of 6-Nov-2006, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc
gap> PolynomialRing(Rationals, 2);
PolynomialRing(..., [ x_1, x_2 ])

Next, from a clean 2.8.8 install:
GAP4, Version: 4.4.10 of 02-Oct-2007, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
gap> PolynomialRing(Rationals, 2);
PolynomialRing(..., [ x_1, x_2 ])

As far as I can tell, the behavior of GAP hasn't changed here.  (I
think we had a miscommunication last night... I was trying to report
that the gap.py doctest was failing with the latest code, after you
changed the doctest; but I didn't say that clearly.)

Carl