On Oct 21, 2007, at 10:04 AM, William Stein wrote:

> I think I know what's going on.
>
> If you install the Gap optional packages, then reset the
> workspace you get the behavior I see.  If you don't install
> the optional packages you don't.  Thus one of the packages
> changes the print behavior of Gap.
>
> Indeed, here it is:
>
> gap> LoadPackage("hap");
> true
> gap> PolynomialRing(Rationals,2);
> PolynomialRing(..., [ x, x_2 ])

I see the same problem as others have reported, but I have no
optional packages installed.  If I run 'gap_console()', and then
'LoadPackage("hap");', I get 'failed' as output.

'gap_console()' tells me it's version '4.4.10'.  'gap_reset_workspace
()' seems to have no effect on the results.

This is a fresh install (not upgrade) of 2.8.8 on Mac OS X, 10.4.10,
Core 2 Duo.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income