On Oct 24, 6:21 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Justin C. Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > I always build like the above on sage.math or my mac pro.
>
> > To complete this discussion:
>
> > On my 2x3.0GHz Quad Xeon Mac, I got the following:
>
> > Without the above, the build took ~71 minutes.
>
> > With the above, both for "-j6" and "-j4", the build took ~54 minutes.

I think we should look into parallel builds via SCons for the
sage.spkg, because that one eats quite a lot of time.

> If you want to experiment with having Sage actually build multiple
> packages at the same time, which could vastly speed things up
> since even the ./configure's will run in parallel, you can try the following.
>
> WARNING: I've tried this once a while ago and it did *not* work
> for me, and I didn't have time to debug all the problems, so it
> isn't supported -- you will have to fix things.  That's why I've cc'd
> this message to sage-devel.
>

> 0. Start with a fresh Sage tarball.
>
> 1. Open the file SAGE_ROOT/spkg/install
>
> 2. Find the line
>    time make -f standard/deps $1
> and change it to
>    time make -j 4 -f standard/deps $1
>
> 3. cd to SAGE_ROOT and type "make".
>
> Watch lots of things happen at once, then something eventually
> go wrong, probably because of subtle dependencies that are
> appropriately described in SAGE_ROOT/standard/deps.   I think theory,
> by modifying the makefile in SAGE_ROOT/standard/deps appropriately,
> one could make the above work.  This would be very useful to a lot
> of people, actually, since it would speed up building sage on smp machines.

I think the deps aren't complete, so that a single make process works,
but once you do a "-j4" things go wrong. We migh  t want to be less
ambitious and start with "-j2".

> William

Cheers,

Michael