Ted Kosan wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>
>>> I really like the technique of using Jython in the client because its
>>> like having a subset of SAGE on the client.  Users can easily create
>>> GUI widgets with just a few lines of "SAGE" code.  Jython can be
>>> included in an applet too.
>> This is interesting.  Can you expand on how you see Jython being used in
>> the client (or how you already are using it), with maybe some
>> hypothetical examples of creating GUI widgets or other things?
>
> After further research I discovered that a Jython Applet loaded from a
> remote server is unable to execute code entered by the user because of
> security restrictions.  I am going to have to study this issue
> further.
>
> As for examples of how to use GUI widgets in the client, the 3D Applet
> demo I posted a little bit ago shows some of what I am thinking about.
>  Perhaps the user wants a slider for changing the zoom level instead
> of a drawn rectangle.  They could create a slider, hook it to the zoom
> object, and add the slider to the GUI with a few lines of code.
>
> Another applet I have been thinking about is a SAGE "dashboard" that
> would show in realtime all the objects a user has created in the
> current worksheet, all symbolic variables, the state of all executing
> cells, etc.  The user could then add custom widgets and logic to this
> applet to suit their needs.

Didn't the old version of the notebook do at least some of this?  See
the screenshot at:

http://sagemath.org/screen_shots/.html/factor-bigdeg.html

and some of the other screenshots at:

http://sagemath.org/screen_shots/

It appears that current variables and other objects were listed.  It's
been a while, though, so I don't remember exactly what was in the left
column.

Why don't we have the old functionality now, maybe in a collabsible
sidebar or something.  (or is it there and I just missed it?)

> Anyway, I think coming up with concrete examples will be easier after
> the communications mechanism between applets and the SAGE server has
> been determined.

I agree that a communication mechanism is one of the first steps in all
of this.

-Jason