On Dec 3, 2007 1:19 PM, Jason Grout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As for examples of how to use GUI widgets in the client, the 3D Applet
> > demo I posted a little bit ago shows some of what I am thinking about.
> >  Perhaps the user wants a slider for changing the zoom level instead
> > of a drawn rectangle.  They could create a slider, hook it to the zoom
> > object, and add the slider to the GUI with a few lines of code.
> >
> > Another applet I have been thinking about is a SAGE "dashboard" that
> > would show in realtime all the objects a user has created in the
> > current worksheet, all symbolic variables, the state of all executing
> > cells, etc.  The user could then add custom widgets and logic to this
> > applet to suit their needs.
> >

> Didn't the old version of the notebook do at least some of this?  See
> the screenshot at:
>
> http://sagemath.org/screen_shots/.html/factor-bigdeg.html
>
> and some of the other screenshots at:
>
> http://sagemath.org/screen_shots/
>
> It appears that current variables and other objects were listed.  It's
> been a while, though, so I don't remember exactly what was in the left
> column.

Yes, the original version of the notebook did that.  Nobody really liked
it very much, and it greatly reduced the general "snappiness" of the
notebook.   It was a feature that I had implemented, then removed, and
there wasn't much in the way of complaint when it vanished (especially
since things were much snappier afterwards).

> Why don't we have the old functionality now, maybe in a collabsible
> sidebar or something.  (or is it there and I just missed it?)

Because it is slow and cumbersome and error prone.

William