Robert wrote:

> There are several other dependencies that are provided as jar files
> that we'll need to build as well, so this is further from done than I
> had supposed.

Here is a list of the jar files that come in the jmol tarball:

Acme.jar             gnujaxp-onlysax.jar  junit.jar     vecmath1.2-1.14.jar
ant-contrib.jar      gnujaxp.jar          netscape.jar  vecmath1.2-1.14.tar.gz
commons-cli-1.0.jar  itext-1.4.5.jar      saxon.jar

Here is what Gentoo lists as jmol's dependencies:

COMMON_DEP="
        dev-java/commons-cli
        dev-java/itext
        sci-libs/jmol-acme
        sci-libs/vecmath-objectclub"

There is the following comment in the Gentoo ebuild script about netscape.jar:

# We still have to use netscape.jar on amd64 until a nice way to
include plugin.jar comes along.

I had a hunch that the jaxp and saxon jars were included for older
versions of the JDK that did not include these capabilities so I
removed them and was able to achieve a successful build (I also
removed junit.jar).  Here is the reduced list of .jar files I was able
to achieve a successful build with:

Acme.jar         commons-cli-1.0.jar  netscape.jar
ant-contrib.jar  itext-1.4.5.jar      vecmath1.2-1.14.jar

Ted