Robert,

Do you think it is okay to manually edit the various build scripts to
make them build as desired and then just record what was edited in the
SPKG.txt file?

Also, how much software can we require the user have pre-installed on
their system before building jmol-src.spkg?  At this point we require
they have a Sun JDK and ant installed.  How many of the following
packages can we also require they have pre-installed (if any)?

> #ant-contrib.
> #apache commons-logging.
> #apache commons-lang.
> #bcmail -Bouncy Castle Crypto.
> #bcprov -Bouncy Castle Crypto

The reason I am asking is that jmol will probably not be the only
Java-based package to be added to Sage and, if dependencies like this
are offloaded to the user's environment, they can be used by all
Java-based Sage packages that need them.

You had also mentioned adding an Ant spkg to Sage earlier.  This is an
interesting approach for dependency management, but if this route is
taken there will need to be quite a few Java-based spkg packages
created.

Are we sure we want to bring Java-based packages into Sage in a big
way?  I know that Gentoo found it extremely challenging to get
Java-based packages to work correctly with Gentoo.  Here is an excerpt
form a Gentoo Java manual:

----
"Bundled Dependencies

One of the features of Java has always been "compile once, run
everywhere." A consequence of this is that Java developers
traditionally bundle all library dependencies with their project's
distribution. While this might be convenient for the end-user, it
rapidly becomes problematic from a packager's point of view.

For example, project A depends on C, and project B depends on C, and
you have project A and B installed, then you'd have two copies of C
installed to support it. And if there's new release of C with a bug or
security fix , you would want both A and B to take advantage of it. "
----

Perhaps a better way to solve the jmol-src problem is to tell the
builder to build the following jars on their own and then place them
into the jmol jars directory before building jmon-src?:

Acme.jar             gnujaxp-onlysax.jar  junit.jar     vecmath1.2-1.14.jar
ant-contrib.jar      gnujaxp.jar          netscape.jar
commons-cli-1.0.jar  itext-1.4.5.jar      saxon.jar

Ted