> On 12/03/2021, at 09:46, Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 8:18:11 PM UTC-8 Nathan Dunfield wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:50:41 AM UTC-6 Dima wrote:
> numpy does this:
> https://numpy.org/devdocs/docs/howto_build_docs.html
>
> you can only build numpy docs after numpy is installed.
>
> Of course, with numpy "installed" doesn't necessarily mean installed in the
> main site-packages, you can use a virtualenv.  Then you delete the virtualenv
> once the docs are built and install the module and the docs for real.
>
> Just a quick comment that you get this type of build isolation for free if
> you make the documentation a separate distribution according to PEP 517
> (pyproject.toml), for which you declare the package as a build-system
> requirement.

I have been wondering for a while why you want to have those kinds of
requirements.
In the autotools world there is no issues with building documentation as part
of the
building process even if, potentially like sage, you want some content to be
dynamically
generated by executing the just built package.

And that’s when it hits me. In a lot of python packages, building the
documentation,
when it is available, a different build system is used than when you where
building the package itself.
In a typical case, you build with distutils/setuptools and then invoke make to
start
sphinx to build the doc.

The python build systems in wide use have no hooks or provision to latch on to
stuff
you use to build the documentation. If they do they are not in wide use, or may
be
too primitive.

In that context, since you often use a completely different way of building
stuff,
those PEPs literally mandate a separate package. The only alternative is to
include
provision for documentation building in stuff like setuptools. I don’t see that
happening
anytime soon.